Sunday, November 15, 2009

Shifting Interests to Social Commentary about Consumption

Right now I am shifting gears in my artwork which I am really excited about. Previously I was working on cellular forms, but now I am taking more art into a more social commentary direction and using found objects which I am really interested in- I am exploring ideas about societal consumption and accumulation of material goods and I am really eager to see where this new direction takes me.

I have been very focused and interested in Kate Bingaman-Burt's blog website Obsessive Consumption and I recommend that everyone should take a look at it. She does daily drawings of the objects she buys and works a lot with craft art to make her installations. She makes us question our own role in consumerism and I think we can be inspired by her and learn a lot from her own work.

I have also been really interested in reading up on blogs over the past few weeks and for those of you who are interested in feminist thoughts check out Feministing blog. It has no connection to printmaking really but can be a good source of subject matter to inspire you and get you going. It is really entertaining and intriguing to read.

Hopefully soon I can post some pictures of the new art I'll be creating. Right now I am collecting receipts and seeing where that takes me.

No comments: