Tuesday, September 27, 2011

LOUISE BOURGEOIS

I fell in love with Louise Bourgeois at her Guggenheim exhibit in 2008, but I only ever used the sculptures that I saw in the exhibit as references. I finally picked up several of her books and now I am falling in love with her all over again. SHE MAKES PRINTS.

Perhaps her most known pieces are the large spiders that are all over the world in great cities. The spiders, though massive, look as though they are a sketch on the horizon. Her prints look as if they are sculptures.

He Disappeared into Deep Silence from 1947 is a series of texts and engravings compiled into a book. The text evokes feelings of love and rejection in a cool, almost flippant manner. The engravings are simple, but I feel that it is through their simplicity that they achieve highly developed emotions.

Steiner, Mary. Louise Bourgeois The Personages. The Saint Louis Art Museum. 1994.

No comments: